11/07/2023 - Mount Glasgow

 Mount Glasgow

I can say with a fair amount of confidence this was the hardest hike I have ever done. Although the distance and elevation are considerable (23km and 1344m of elevation), that was not the reason this hike was hard. Everything that could have gone wrong pretty much did. Starting off from the Elbow day use parking lot, the approach to Glasgow is one of the trickiest parts of the hike. After you cross the bridge you hook an immediate right and you are officially on the Mount Glasgow Front approach route. This section of the hike can be described as "Create Your Own Adventure", if you are lucky enough to find the trail good luck staying on it. The trail weaves through the trees and has become so overgrown it is nearly impossible to navigate. On top of the route finding, I made the wise decision to go the day after it poured rain and my pants and boots became immediately soaked. 

Meadow on the lower section of trail

My thinking was that once you exit the forested section of the approach, it becomes easier to navigate. which was not the case either. Although you do not have to bushwhack in the high higher elevation part of the hike, it becomes no less complicated to stay on the trail. I found myself in positions where my immediate thought was "why didn't I just stay home". There were times where I would lose the trail and end up at points where I would be forced to retreat because I would be close to an exposed cliff or other things of that nature.

Exiting the trees and on the way up
A friend on the way up
Summit

Once I finally reached the summit I though that it would be much easier going down the backside to avoid all the route finding on the frontside approach (it had to be), but yet again I was sadly mistaken. It was not like the backside was harder but it was equally as strenuous and provided it own unique challenges. Immediately after the summit the trail descends quickly to a col between the peak of Glasgow and what I guess is one of it's many lower counterparts. From here the trail descends quickly again all the way down to a creek bed which is the trail the entire way down until you reach big elbow loop and use that to return to the parking lot. 

Mount Glasgow as seen from the start of the creek bed

The one positive thing I can say about the creek bed is that it is pretty hard to lose, however it sucked just as much as the frontside approach. There were several times where the creek bed would drop 40 or 50 feet down so you were forced to climb one of its steeps banks and bushwhack in the forest until you could eventually re-join it at a later point. The creek bed also caused be to mis-step a few times (one where I slid for what felt like awhile) and was fairly hard on the feet and ankles. After what felt like a long time going down I finally connected with the Big Elbow loop. I breathed a sigh of relief as the loop provided a wide very easy to follow route where nothing too surprising should happen, right? Wrong again. After about 2km on the loop I was delighted to see, about 65 feet up trail, a rather large grizzly bear run across the trail. Thankfully while packing I decided to snag the bear spray holster and attach it to my backpack for easy access (I also had another can in my backpack). I immediately removed the spray from the holster and when I crossed where I had seen the bear run into the forest I removed the safety and proceeded with caution. That little encounter ensured that all the way back to the parking lot I checked behind me every couple hundred meters. About five more kilometers and I was safe in my car driving home.

Mount Glasgow from the parking lot

 There are times when the trail humbles you and tells you to calm down a bit. Today was one of those days for me, everything ended fine but it definitely could have had a different outcome. I also do not enjoy hiking alone as much because I find myself quite on edge, and less easily relaxed enough to enjoy my surroundings. Carl Jung once said "In order to experience the light, we must first experience the darkness." I find this holds true for nature in life. How do you ever enjoy your daily life if you don't experience nature or find yourself in situations where you are not necessarily comfortable. I definitely pushed my comfort zone today and although I found myself questioning why I had left the house, when I got home it became pretty clear. I got to have a warm meal and get in the hot tub and let the warm water do its work to drive me toward recovery. I would not have appreciated this had I not first encountered something difficult and mentally and physically taxing. So a couple take aways from this one are: do not hike alone on big hikes, always watch and check the weather to ensure safety and do not text your dad with a sat phone and tell him "Just saw a grizz" and then go silent. Overall glad I did the hike but also glad it's over and I can add it to the list. On to the next...


Comments

  1. Epic hike, Sammy!!! Glad you did it, and it's great that you learned some important lessons along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts